RIFT 3.0: Nightmare Tide
Rift 3.0: Nightmare Tide sends the Ascended to the Plane of Water. This Plane is filled with secrets, nightmares and insanity, created from a being called ‘Draum”s dreams. The Sirens’ songs and Sinister Presences in the game have indicated the presence of an ancient, evil race known as the Akvan. Although at present under an eternal slumber, sinister denizens of the Plane of Water are looking to re-awaken them and wreck havoc across the cosmos.
ETA: Nightmare Tide launches October 8th 2014 [r]
Cost: Free. Nightmare Tide’s primary content, such as zones, story quests, dungeons, chronicles, PvP and raids are free. There are three editions you can check out here with additional benefits; some of which can be earned in-game.
Preparing for the Expansion
As the expansion closes in, there’s still quite a few things you can do to prepare and give yourself that head-start. Have you got your crafting professions, patron gifts and quests pre-loaded yet?
You can check out our full article here with everything you need to know to prepare for the expansion!
RIFT 3.0 Beta Keys
Want access to the RIFT 3.0 Beta? Check out our Unofficial RIFT Event Calendar for all active RIFT 3.0 Beta Key giveaways and contests!
The Zones of Nightmare Tide
There are three major zones appearing with the release of Nightmare Tide:
Although there’s only three zones, they are extremely big, both horizontally and vertically.
For a slightly more detailed version of some portions of the map, check out our mini-map compilations:
- Goboro Reef Top Area Mini-Map Compilation
- Draum Heim City Area Mini-Map Compilation
- Tarken Glacier Mini-Map Compilation [Bottom-Right] [Top]
There’s a large variety of fascinating flora and fauna in the Plane of Water and each zone has a distinct feel.
A common concern from players is that underwater combat and movement is clunky in various video game titles. Trion has used feedback from Ember Isle’s Level 60 underwater quest chain and decided to only place approx. 10% of core content underwater. Don’t fret though – Instanced PvP, Dungeons and Raids won’t be underwater.
For explorers, there’s still a ton of objects such as chests, mermaid purses and hidden nooks and crannies to delve into in the Plane of Water.
Moons and Layers
Each zone in the Plane of Water is a separate ‘layer’ of a dream of the being known as ‘Draum’. Each layer has its own Moon which represents the type of dream the layer contains.
From various concept art revealed by Trion, it seems the sky is actually water as well and even though you’re walking on ‘dry’ land, it feels like you’re in a giant bubble.
|‘Dry’ land in Goboro Reef||Gyel Fortress ‘flamescaping’ Goboro Reef|
Delving into the Lore
Nightmare Tide is filled with lore spanning from the Atragarian mermaids who control the kingdom under the sea to the Bloodfire Army under Lady Glasya’s command who are rapidly flamescaping the world and even touching on the creation of the Plane of Water itself.
Trion has posted a few articles on various lore in the expansion:
- Exploring Goboro Reef Part 1: Getting Your Feet Wet
- Exploring Goboro Reef Part 2: Fortress Of Flames
- Exploring Draumheim – The City of Nightmares
- Tales of the Deep: Imaginary Threats
- Tales of the Deep: Infinity Theft
- Tales of the Deep: Akvan Tiroyogo
- Tales of the Deep: The Fall of Gyel
- Tales of the Deep – Picnic in Draumheim
- The Sirens’ Songs
The Denizens of the Plane of Water
The creatures of Nightmare Tide are abundant and varied, coming out from the dreams and nightmares of the residents of the Plane of Water.
Ice Giants, massive ice-shell crustaceans and varieties of fishmen (‘Skelf’) abound. You can check out some concept art on the creatures of Draum here.
Below is an assortment of content we’ve heard about from official channels.
Last Updated: 22nd September 2014
New Level All Around
The Level Cap will increase to 65 and we will have all new notorieties, gear, achievements and quests to go after. New Masteries will be gained for each level above Level 60 that provides a new way to customize each of your specs whilst out of combat.
Keep an eye out for a new ‘Savant’ level of crafting for all professions bringing forth a whole swathe of new recipes.
Each level above 60, you will now gain Masteries instead of additional Soul Points.
- You are able to choose between a selection of Masteries for each level.
- Masteries can be changed whilst out of combat and are saved for each of your specs.
Detailed images of each ability/passive for each Calling can be found here.
There’s a few gear-based changes coming in with the expansion:
- PvP and PvE gear have been combined.
- Planewalker: Water attunement will be required in order to use certain planar gear. Around 15-20% of the gear in Nightmare Tide will require this attunement, although no single type of gear will be exclusive to this attunement.
- Manugo League reputation will allow you to purchase a variety of equipment and crafting recipes.
- Toughness will be removed from Tank gear. Tanks will simply require Hit, although other tank stats (Block/Deflect) still remain.
- Guard Stat. This is a new tank stat that acts as a kind of beneficial aura to players around a certain radius of the tank.
All New Armor and Weapon Models
As with any expansion, expect to see all new armor and weapon models of varying designs. We’ve got Concept Art on the Sea of Dreams armor sets as well as the Dream Guard, Onir Nightmare, Glacial and Skelf Weapons.
Check them all out here.
With Nightmare Tide comes the ability to mentor up! This will give lower-level players the opportunity to join in with the bulk of the player base to tackle zone events and dungeons (potentially even raids!).
- You will mentor up to the highest level player in your party.
- If the highest level player mentors down, you will also mentor down to their mentored down level (if they still remain the highest level player).
There’s a few limitations to note however:
- Unable to pick up quests that require a higher level than your ‘real’ level.
- You receive all passives in your soul tree up to the mentored level, but you will not receive higher-level abilities than your ‘real’ level.
- You must be at least Level 10 to mentor up.
- You cannot join a dungeon solo. You have to have a full party of 5. (so don’t worry, you won’t see mentored up players in your randoms!)
A new Minions system is being introduced that will allow players to collect a large variety of minions and use them to complete Adventures which bring a variety of rewards such as gathering material, artifacts and loot.
- Minions can be gained in a variety of ways including through a vendor, loot drops and other ways not yet revealed.
- There are Adventure Slots that you use by combining an Adventure Card with a Minion Card. Your Minion will then carry out its mission and once complete, will return, freeing up a slot.
- Adventures and Minions have up to two attributes. Using a Minion with the ‘right’ attributes as the Adventure Card will provide better rewards upon completion.
You can find out more about Minions and a sneak peek at the user interface here.
3.0 introduces Water and Amphibious Mounts. Current mounts are classified as Land Mounts, whilst Water Mounts can be used in bodies of water and Amphibious Mounts can traverse both the land and the sea.
At present, the Ultimate Nightmare Digital Edition can get you a ‘Cobalt Thresher Mount‘ which has frog-like, distorted fins to allow it to walk on land.
At some point when the expansion comes, upgrade items will be made available to upgrade some of the existing mounts into Amphibious mounts. Daglar has stated these will most likely require Credits.
Current known/datamined Amphibious mounts/upgradeable mounts:
- ‘Doopah’ (probably Tartagon)
- ‘Floating Storm Legion’ (probably Cyclone)
Note: As always, everything subject to change prior to 3.0 release.
A big addition coming to RIFT 3.0: Nightmare Tide is the introduction of Nightmare Rifts. These are rifts with an infinite amount of stages! As stages progress the fights become harder with more complex objectives (not just killing) and stage timers begin to shorten.
You will need to use powerups in an intelligent manner and tackle a multitude of mechanics to reach the highest stage on the server.
- There’s 125 bosses to tackle over 5 ranks of Nightmare Rifts.
- Nightmare Rifts are available even for low-level players.
- Instanced versions of the Nightmare Rifts will become available at some point after the launch of the expansion for those who truly want to push the stages without the distraction of random players coming in to mess up your powerups set-up.
- Leaderboards will track highest Stage completed.
- Videos by Trion have shown that you can get bonus exp – one video showed 2x and 3x experience bonus gained.
RIFT 3.0: Nightmare Tide will open up with the following instanced content: [r]
- 6 new Dungeons (Normal/Expert) [4 new; 2 revamped] [r]
- 1 new Chronicle
- 1 new Sliver
- 1 new Raid
Of course as we get new 3.x patches, new instanced content will open up later on.
Known Instanced Content:
- Shadow From The Beyond (might be a dungeon)
- Nightmare Coast (live)
- Gyel Fortress
- Glacial Maw
- Citadel of Insanity
- Return to Iron Tomb
- Return to Empyrean Core
- Mount Sharax
- The Rhen of Fate
Raid Zone Instant Adventures
The Nightmare Tide expansion will be adding in new ‘Raid Zone Instant Adventures’ that – you guess it – takes you into past raids! First up on the list is Hammerknell Fortress, a Level 50 Tier 2 20-man raid that is said to be one of the best raids in RIFT’s history.
There are no details on this new group feature yet, but players have suggested that it may be Trion’s alternate solution to suggestions for a Looking-For-Raid and to reignite interest in old content.
A few changes to PvP are coming, including:
- PvP and PvE gear combining.
- Vengeance and Valor to be removed.
- PvP Bolstering – ‘Floor’ on stats remains, but now there’s a ‘Ceiling’ on stats.
- If you are bolstered, your gear’s Runes and Dream Orbs will still remain.
- A new warfront is coming in with the expansion – no details.
- Matchmaking improvements – Balancing Healers and DPS. There will also be adjustments so that players with losing streaks will be on opposite teams so that at least one of them will win.
Conquest will also be disabled until more players are Level 65. Conquest Power/Perks will also be removed.
A new Warfront will be added in called “Battle of the Numeral Eleven” which is themed on the ‘Manugo’ numbers game. For this warfront you need to hold onto ‘Numbers’ and interact with ‘Manugo Stations’. Holding the ‘Numbers’ will cause damage to you over time (like the ‘Fang’ in Black Garden).
More information on PvP changes can be found here.
Further Information Compilation
Below you will find further compiled information about RIFT 3.0: Nightmare Tide. The list is meant for reference purposes or for those who wish to delve a little deeper with more details on each part of the expansion.
Note: As the expansion has yet to be released, everything below is subject to change and some content might not make it to release.
First up, check out some of the compilation articles written over the last few weeks for a nice summary:
- Initial Nightmare Tide 3.0 Expansion Information
- Trion Community Day Information Reveal
- RIFT 3.0 Twitter Chat Summary
- Datamining gallery of 3.0 models and skins
- More Datamined skins and models
3.0 Information Compilation
All the information about RIFT 3.0: Nightmare Tide and their various sources.
- Classes/Callings will be getting new abilities.
- Level Cap will be 65. New ‘Mastery‘ gained from list of options you can choose from based on your Calling rather than you Soul for each Level above 60.
- Mentoring Up – Ability to mentor up.
- New Equipment Slots – 2 new equipment slots that can be gained via purchasing the Nightmare Tide Digital Edition or earned in-game.
- Current BiS gear (Level 60 Tier 3 gear) will last until Level 65 and “a bit beyond that”.
- PvP Gear Improvements - PvP and PvE gear are combined.
- PvE Gear Improvements – TOUGHNESS is being removed. GUARD is a new Tank stat that provides an aura with positive benefits to players within x meters of the tank.
- New Craft Profession Level – Savant. Savant: Level 450.
- Nightmare Rifts - Unlimited stages with 125 bosses.
- Rare Rift Mobs in Rifts. Achievement shown for “rare rift mobs in rifts”.
- New Raid Zone Instant Adventures – Hammerknell Fortress Instant Adventures.
- Minions - Account-wide pets that can perform various activities, level up and go on missions (via adventure cards). Further Info. Minions can have custom names. [r]
- Some of the old dungeons will be making a come-back in 3.0.
- Water and Amphibious Mounts - To help traverse the new Water content.
- New Zones (3) – Goboro Reef, Draumheim and Tarken Glacier.
- Conquest Power + Perks to be removed.
A list of content datamined on the PTS.
- The Gyel Fortress Dungeon – Hound Master Kytus and Admiral Nezavar boss achieves available for Standard and Expert Difficulty.
- Nightmare Coast Dungeon – Lord Arak’s Ritual boss encounter achievement up, including Standard and Expert Difficulty indicators.
- Glacial Maw Dungeon – Looks to potentially be inside the ‘Lake Monster’ on Tarken Glacier.
- Return to Empyrean Core. Potential Level 60 or 65 revamp of Empyrean Core.
- Return to Iron Tomb. Potential Level 60 or 65 revamp of Iron Tomb.
- Citadel of Insanity.
- RAIDS (possible):
- Draum Heim Datamined Models - Datamined models relating to Draum Heim.
- Horrors. Nightmare Rift Mobs.
- Possible New Factions: Atragarians, Cerulean Rhenke, Manugo League, The Onir, Pelagic Order and The Ghar.
- Possible New Craft Level: Savant.
- Rare Mob Achievements. Achievement list for Draumheim and Goboro Reef Rare Mobs.
- Water/Underwater Mount Skin
More will be posted as they come to light!
Where to Go From Here
Want more information? No problem! Check out the following tags on RiftGrate.com to catch up on all the latest articles related to the Public Test Shard, datamining and the RIFT 3.0: Nightmare Tide expansion!
Don’t forget to prepare for the expansion with our RIFT 3.0: Nightmare Tide Preparation article!
Want a RIFT 3.0 Beta Key? Check out our Unofficial RIFT Event Calendar for all RIFT-related contests and events, including any active RIFT 3.0 Beta Key Giveaways/Contest.
See you in RIFT 3.0: Nightmare Tide on 8th October 2014!