The folks over at Rift Reforged held their 43rd episode, celebrating their 1-year Anniversary livestream! Liiska, Tormented Gamer, Enikki and Kendorath from Rift Reforged were joined by a whole bunch of Trion staff to chat about RIFT and the upcoming patch.
The Livestream Summary here will mainly summarize new RIFT-related info mentioned by Trion during the stream.
Click here for a replay of the Rift Reforged Anniversary Livestream video on twitch.tv.
Trion joined in over the stream with Archonix, Captain Cursor, Darkmoon, Gingers and CM Ocho. The chat channel also had Vladd, krug, Dead Simon, Epsiry and Brasse!
Table of Contents:
- Planetouched Wilds
- Mind of Madness
- UI Improvements
- Other Tidbits
- Livestream Giveaways
As always, everything can be subject to change prior to the content hitting Live.
Planetouched Wilds Artifacts
Planetouched Wilds History
Way back in early development, Cliffside Vale was just a name on the map. The area wasn’t supposed to be Planetouched Wilds, but instead just a completely different zone for a story that ended up no longer existing in the game.
Right after launch of RIFT, the original Planetouched Wilds concept was discussed. Alot of the ideas from the original Planetouched Wilds including art assets and structures like the Sun Orb ended up helping to shape what is now the Kingdom of Pelladane in Storm Legion.
The new Planetouched Wilds includes Bahmi origination lore and some of the Kingdom of Pelladane story that was left out of that zone. The story will include how the Bahmi of the Wilds exist and their current reality.
Planetouched Wilds Artifacts
The Planetouched Wilds will be getting four sets of artifacts.
Poison, Burning and Nightmare artifacts will be completely new to the game and involve an interesting mechanic. It goes something like this:
- When you pick up normal artifacts in the Planetouched Wilds, you will have a chance at getting a debuff that will allow you to see Poison artifacts.
- When you pick up Poison artifacts, you will have a chance at getting a stronger debuff that will allow you to see Burning artifacts.
- When you pick up Burning artifacts, you will have a chance at getting an even stronger debuff that will allow you to see Nightmare artifacts.
The debuff includes a Damage-over-Time effect that will deal damage to you constantly until the debuff drops.
The damage is hp %-based.
To top it all off, Dead Simon mentioned in the chat channel that whilst you are hunting Nightmare artifacts, you have a chance of ending up with all three DoTs refreshing on you.
Clearly you will need a decent healing spec with instant heals, HoTs or shields.
The Kubara Sakti dimension item was accidentally leaked on Live in June. It is obtained from Kubara Sakti in the Achyati Village, Dendrome at /setwaypoint 4145 4641. You need a ‘Cosmic Rhinoceros Carving’ in order to purchase it from the NPC.
Dead Simon mentioned that it would be a difficult item to obtain.
With Rift Reforged’s Anniversary Livestream, Captain Cursor has revealed that you’ll need to first get to Callweddi in the Planetouched Wilds to begin the road towards obtaining the Kubara Sakti item.
- “Get used to doing puzzles”.
- Required “largest testing document ever”. [Chances are it probably requires you to complete all those 12+ puzzle boxes that are sold in Callweddi, at the very least].
- Apparently there’s “over 8,000” possible solutions for the puzzle/s.
- One NPC in the zone will talk excitedly about this and drop clues.
Note: Dead Simon has mentioned before that it will be quite difficult to get to Callweddi, potentially involving puzzles and/or artifact sets and other activities.
Other Wilds Tidbits
- Planetouched Wilds has gone through a lot of change with the various Planes. The two that have stuck the most are Earth and Air.
- Captain Cursor mentioned that the Planetouched Wilds would be the “bounciest zone we’ve ever produced”.
- Statues of ancestors is a concept the art team really ran with. Captain Cursor mentioned that there’s about 11,000 statues placed into the zone.
- Various NPCs will accompany you and chat with both yourself and other NPCs that might accompany you. (RoughRaptors wrote the code for this new addition to story-telling.)
- Trion with help from Kendorath read out a small section of the script between the Titan of the Wilds, King Khar and some other NPCs. Check it out in the livestream video at 1hr 2min 25sec.
Mind of Madness
The new 20-man raid coming with 3.4, “Mind of Madness” (known in data files as ‘Lord Arak Raid’) has been confirmed to be a Tier 3 raid.
It will be released some time after RIFT 3.4 Patch launch. They want to give a bit of time to let everything with the patch settle down before releasing the raid.
As it is a Tier 3 raid, you will need 1,400 Hit to make sure you don’t miss the mobs.
Vladd also mentioned that there were plans to help new/returning players catch up to 1,400 Hit, but he was not ready to talk about them yet.
Senior UI Artist Gingers mentioned she was originally a RIFT player before coming onto the team at Trion. She has had a hand in most UI-related improvements and additions over the past 2-3 years, including the wardrobe revamp, dimensions, RIFT Store layout and auction house revamp.
Gingers mentioned a couple of User Interface improvements coming in 3.4:
Some slight changes to the Character Select screen has been made in order to be able to fit 13 character slots (12 original max + 1 from The Wilds Pack). When 3.4 hits you’ll be able to fit 7 character slots on the left-hand column of the character select screen instead of the current 6.
Assault on Bronze Tomb
RIFT 3.4 will include a new warfront “Assault on Bronze Tomb” which also introduces the new Assault Mode. A bunch of new UI has been added for the warfront, including the new objectives bar and Attack/Defend text.
The new 5th calling “Primalist” has a new focus bar that has gone through a few iterations. Soul, calling and ability icons are concept-ed by Senior Concept Artist Stephen “Drakcoon” Mabee and then Gingers produces the actual icons for the game in Photoshop.
Gingers created the Primalist portrait.
Auction House Wardrobe Filter
There will be a new checkbox that allows you to filter out wardrobe items you’ve already collected. This will make it a lot easier to find wardrobe items you have not collected on the Auction House.
Wardrobe Dye Tooltip
When you hover over your dyes in your wardrobe sets, it will display its exact name. This will help those with a lot of colors who need to know exactly what shade of a certain color they’ve placed on a particular slot.
Guild UI Improvements
- Items, Quests and Achievements in the Guild Log will be clickable/viewable just like in chat.
- Items in the Item Log of your Guild Bank will also be clickable/viewable.
Quest UI Improvement
Quest Log will now have Expand/Collapse All buttons.
Flashing Chat Tabs
With 3.4, your chat tab will flash if you miss a tell (whisper/pm) that was made in an inactive chat tab.
Artifact Set Linking in Achievements
Dead Simon mentioned that you will be able to click on artifact sets from their related achievement and it will open up your artifact window so you can see the artifact set.
- Trion will take a look at potentially adding in more Guild Bank Vaults. No promises.
- From the data it seems the silent majority enjoyed the Nightmare Saga, or at least did quite a few of the quests. However, there were a few players on the forums who felt some of the quests were the worst thing ever – especially the warfront quest.
- Corgis became the official dog companion for RIFT as a result of a birthday present to ex-CM Amary back in the day.
- The two giant statues in Droughtlands actually represent one of the Vigil, the god Thontic. One is looking at Smith’s Haven whilst the other is looking at Lantern Hook.
- Dead Simon mentioned he would look into potentially adding Epic Unstable Artifacts as drops for Minion Artifact adventures. However, no promises since he wants to keep the Planar Squirrel mounts rare.
- There will be improvements to Planar Crafting in 3.4. No details. Also, Trion will look at adding Crafting Rifts to the Planetouched Wilds. No promises; probably won’t be available at 3.4 launch.
- Vladd might look at adjusting max mana values after Primalist is done. No promises.
Test Dates For 3.4
Archonix wouldn’t give exact dates for testing, but mentioned that we should probably keep an eye out for next week’s RIFT Livestream which will likely have more information on test dates.
CM Ocho will be joined by Lead Content Designer Julia “Darkmoon” Flemming and Underlord of Lore Nicholas “Captain Cursor” McDowell.
Livestream Channel Giveaways
During the Livestream, a handful of livestream chat channel viewers received:
- 1x 30-day Patron Passes to 3 livestream viewers.
- 1x 4th Anniversary Arclight Rider Mount to 3 livestream viewers.
- 1x The Wilds Pack to 3 lucky livestream viewers!
Congratulations to all the winners!
(From Left to Right: Liiska, Tormented Gamer, Enikki and Kendorath)
A fantastic livestream held by Rift Reforged with a ton of interesting information. Congratulations to the folks over at Rift Reforged for their 43rd episode and 1-year Anniversary! All the best in the year to come!
Past Livestream Summaries can be accessed here.