Speculation: Could RIFT 3.4 launch this month?
It’s been a while since the last ‘Speculation’ article, but I think this particular series of events requires its own post.
In short, RIFT 3.4: Into the Wilds still has a chance of launching in September. Specifically, September 30th 2015! Of course this is complete speculation, but here’s some potential ‘supporting evidence’:
Promo Week Extension
First up, according to the RIFT 3.3: Hotfix #13 notes, the Arclight Infiltration Promo Week was extended until 29th Sept.
Due to a bug with the model preview for the Limited Edition: Crystalline Lifter Trove we’ve extended sales through 9/29!
This is very odd, because the 29th is a Tuesday.
Usually promo weeks end on Thursday at 3:30PM ST. CM Ocho generally states that it ends on Wednesday in articles and forum posts as a matter of prudence. So why choose Tuesday?
Well, Wednesday would be a hotfix/patch day and it’d be 30th Sept, the last day of September. It’s quite possible that Trion might not want to extend the Promo Week beyond Tuesday to reduce the amount of potential bugs or other issues they have to manage that comes with a major patch; thus ending the promo week on a Tuesday.
PAX Prime Information
Back in August we had PAX Prime 2015 which provided a whole bunch of Trion-related announcements. RIFT player and fan trailer creator Samuraiko had a chat with Director of Community Relations Linda “Brasse” Carlson who revealed that Trion was still discussing the launch date of 3.4, but that it would likely be at the “end of September”.
The 30th September is the last day of September, and it also happens to be a Wednesday (patch day). If all goes according to schedule and there aren’t any major hiccups, it’s possible that the ‘end of September’ launch is still on the table.
Trion also has a habit of sticking with certain patterns when it comes to releasing information.
I did some digging and she’s spot on; either a preview post is made or the actual date announced a week before the launch of a patch! Take for instance the following:
- ‘Preview RIFT 3.3: Waking Nightmares‘ article posted on 9th July 2015. RIFT 3.3 goes Live on 15th July, the following week.
- ‘RIFT 3.2 Echoes of Madness Preview: Hammerknell‘ article posted on 6th April 2015. RIFT 3.2 goes Live on 15th April, the following week. (Of course, they also announced the actual launch date on the 10th as well.)
- ‘RIFT 3.1: Storm at Sea Launches Jan 28‘ article posted on 22nd Jan 2015. RIFT 3.1 goes Live on 28th Jan, the following week.
Of course it’s not guaranteed that RIFT 3.4 will launch on 30th September, but with the latest article by Trion, “RIFT 3.4 Preview: Planetouched Wilds” showcasing the largest addition to the patch, the possibility is there.
The Planetouched Wilds Introduction Quests were added in with RIFT 3.3 Hotfix #13. If they hadn’t been added in, then a September release for 3.4 would have been off the table. However, since the intro quests are now up on Live, the September 30th slot remains open for a RIFT 3.4: Into the Wilds release.
Trion has held many livestreams over the past few weeks:
- Personalities of the PTW. About voice actors and player interaction with NPCs in the Planetouched Wilds.
- Planetouched Wilds Preview. Showing off various locales and mobs in the Wilds.
- Testing and Callweddi Preview. Showing off the vendors in Callweddi village and about open testing.
- Primalist Livestream. All about the Primalist calling.
- Rhaza’de Canyons Livestream. About the upcoming Expert dungeon.
- Assault on Bronze Tomb Livestreams. Two livestreams about the new warfront and Assault Mode.
At this point they’ve covered all the major additions to RIFT 3.4 except for the Tier 3 20-man Mind of Madness raid and Crafting/UI additions.
- Trion will be holding the livestream on 3.4 Crafting and UI additions this Friday, 25th Sept.
- Trion has mentioned in the past that the Mind of Madness raid will be coming after 3.4 launch and there won’t be a livestream until after the patch hits and things have calmed down.
That covers basically all the information for the patch. If Trion has planned it all properly, a 3.4 release the week after they’ve exhausted all 3.4 topics for their livestreams would line everything up pretty well.
In short, there’s a few pieces of ‘supporting evidence’ that makes it possible that we’ll be getting RIFT 3.4: Into the Wilds on 30th September 2015. However, this is all speculation and depending on how many issues still linger on the PTS, Trion might end up forgoing a September launch.
So, what now? Well, if it does launch on 30th Sept a few questions will pop up that you might want to consider:
- Have you got enough Credits saved up for Primalist? Will REX prices increase when 3.4 launches?
- Do you have enough of the 20hr crafting cooldowns for the new tier of runes?
- How about Rune Unsockets for the new upgrades?
- Enough dream ribbons and Planar Crafting mats for the new Planar dream orbs?
- Do you have enough crafting marks for the new earring, seal and apothecary recipes?
Just a few things to consider as we approach the launch of 3.4 (whenever that might be).