tl;dr – RiftGrate is going on an indefinite hiatus. I’ve had a great time with RiftGrate and Rift but I am unable to continue running the site for the foreseeable future.
Hi all, as some of you might have noticed, I have not updated RiftGrate for about three weeks now and I apologize for my absence and lack of notification. In short, RiftGrate will go on an indefinite hiatus.
Thank you all for an awesome three years of RiftGrate, and five years of RIFT!
There’s plenty of fansites/youtubers out there so be sure to check them out:
- RIFT Official Blog. RIFT has an official blog that posts the big stuff. Keep an eye on it!
- RIFT PTS Sub-forum. For information on upcoming changes, the PTS sub-forum will usually have players discussing new changes on the Public Test Shard.
- /r/Rift. Rift’s subreddit with various discussions. Cupcakey also posts hotfix notes as a sticky.
- RIFT Discord Channel. Kiwi has set up a Discord (text/voice chat) channel with a whole bunch of player activity.
- RiftScene: BiS Tables. RiftScene’s BiS tables are generally up-to-date. Articles and guides on the game can also be found here. Excellent resource!
- PrancingTurtle. Awesome CombatLog parser for RIFT by Hewi. Just upload your combatlog to view stats for your raid in an easy-to-view format. You can also view other guilds’ (public) parses so you can compare!
- Rift Progress/TopofRift. For all your Guild Standing information. Find out where your guild stands and who got world/shard firsts for a raid boss. Front page also shows any Live/recent streams from raids.
- Rift Event Trackers. Several with different styles to suit your needs!
- Rift-Wardrobe. Weekly Wednesday wardrobe livestreams showing off entries to their monthly wardrobe contest by Discordya! Be sure to enter!
- Rift Dimension Addicts. Database of all dimension items, what they look like and where to obtain them, maintained by Kitasia.
- The Dimension Touring Company. Lots of touring of player dimensions as well as dimension-related tips, guides and news! Run by Feendish and Dimensiondiva with several guest authors.
- The Dimension Gallery. A place to upload screenshots of your dimension for everyone to view! Run by Nouvae, she also does interviews of dimensioneers in the blog section of the site, and creates amazing dimension-related videos you can check out here.
- Oria Xu’s Raid Guides. Although he no longer plays the game, Oria Xu’s raid guides are the best out there. He has guides for Nightmare Tide raid bosses all the way up to The Pillars of Justice in the Mind of Madness (5/9).
- Rift Guides Sub-Forum. The Guides sub-forum on RIFT has a huge amount of useful guides, especially in regards to Class specs. Be sure to check it out!
- ChamberDown’s Specs. ChamberDown is no longer active (on hiatus), but he has some amazing video guides on youtube for a large variety of specs. Excellent resource!
- GrimGaming Rift. Grim is famous for his pvp gameplay videos, but he also does spec guides, general gameplay videos and commentary about the state of Rift’s PvP.
- Seatin: Man of Legends. Seatin has a whole heap of RIFT-related videos – PvP videos, general guides and some dungeon/chronicle guides.
And of course there’s plenty of others out there as well. RiftGrate will continue to be up for reference purposes, so you can check out the Reference List or Guides section.
Oh, and check out Silenta@Seastone‘s obstacle/jumping course dimension on Seastone (NA)! Forgot what it was called, but it’s a real challenge!
If anyone wants to pick up where I left off, it’s very simple. I had hardly any idea what I was doing other than following TehFrank’s tutorial but it’ll ‘just click’ with some fiddling around, so here it is:
- TehFrank: So, you also want to datamine the PTS? – Refer to TehFrank’s posts in the thread he created back in 2014 for how to datamine the PTS. The least time-consuming stuff to go through if you are in a hurry would be to skim through the image files.
Big thanks to TehFrank and Sonoko for all their datamining efforts, and major props to TehFrank for the guide/files and for teaching a tech noob like me how to look through the files!
- RIFT Assets Folder. Trion has an assets folder that gets updated every now and then with new files. These mainly pertain to soul data, discovery logs (data on quests, items/etc and who gets shard firsts) as well as a multitude of UI assets including soul icons. Useful for anyone running a fansite or database.
- Mathosia Map 4096×2168. From 3.4 PTS. May not be accurate now.
- Brevane/Dusken Map. From Oct 2014.
- Nightmare Tide Map. From 3.1. May not be accurate now.
- Tyrant’s Forge Map. From Jan 2015.
- NT Rare Mobs Maps. [Goboro Reef] [Draumheim] [Tarken Glacier]. Nightmare Tide Rare Mob maps for Goboro Reef, Draumheim and Tarken Glacier. These were created by TheFireandIceGuild. However, their website has been down for a while now (hosting probably expired) so I’m putting them up here for reference purposes.
You can probably find other relevant asset files in past datamining/pts/a-look-back articles.
Other Interesting Links
- Concept Artists. Might want to follow them. There’s been rare examples where they’ve posted artwork to new content prior to it being posted anywhere else:
- Sven Bybee – Lead Concept Artist.
- Stephen Mabee. Senior Concept Artist.
- Julien Renoult – Senior Concept Artist. Joined Trion in June 2015 – seems to be working on expansion/future content based on the armor/weapon he created here. Feels like Myrkur Depth or Platinum Keep-style content.
- Chris Bennett – Senior Character Artist. Not sure if he still does Rift though.
- RIFT Twitter. On the rare occasion, RIFT’s twitter might post giveaway codes (in image format). They also retweet some player-created stuff so good to follow.
Once again, thank you all for supporting RiftGrate throughout these years and for making the game so much fun! Hope you all have an awesome time in RIFT, and happy belated 5th anniversary!